Now this is really the home stretch

I am now well and truly into the home stretch of translating Radisson. As I juggle rereading chapters with finishing off the text that remains to be translated, I have been struck by a few things.

Over at intralingo, I remember writing once that I gave every chapter to my friends to read, apart from Chapter 1. The thinking behind this being that Chapter 1 has already been read over so many times that it's the least likely to contain mistakes. I have realized this is rubbish. Yes, it has been read over lots of times before, but it was also the chapter where I was still feeling my way into the text and didn't quite have the tone of the translation yet.

I have also reached the stage where rereading chapters does little good any more. I now know whole chunks of the novel practically off by heart and if you gave me any paragraph, I'm pretty sure I could tell you which chapter it came from.

Another thing I have noticed is how little I am changing my translation at this stage: it has stayed very stable since the first draft.

Changing the font size to 16 is also going to stop me going blind this week, I hope.

Wish me luck! It should all be ready to be sent off this time next week...